13th - 18th October was curry week so we couldn’t miss an opportunity to make a banging curry! Here's our recipe for chicken korma it’ll have you changing you mind on the mildest curry.
Chicken Korma - Serves 4
‘Korma’ is a name given to any curry that is both mild and creamy. There are a variety of versions out there, but the key ingredients include ground almonds, cashews, toasted coconut and spice seeds, which add that characteristic nutty sweetness in the sauce. Cream, in the form of coconut milk, creamed coconut or yoghurt is added at the end.
· 4 Boned chicken legs
· 1 Large sweet onion, roughly chopped
· 4 cm piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
· 4 Garlic cloves, roughly chopped
· 1 Tsp sea salt
· 4 Tbsp clarified butter
· 4 cm Turmeric root
· 1 Tsp Coriander seeds
· 2 Tsp Garam masala
· 1 Tsp Cumin seeds
· 4 Tbsp Ground almonds
· 1 Tin coconut milk
· 100ml Chicken Stock
· Small bunch of coriander, Leaves roughly chopped
1. Crush the seeds lightly in a pestle and mortar and fry in a dry pan for 1-2 minutes then remove from the pan. Take the skin off the chicken legs and chop each piece into four. Render the fat from the chicken skin by placing it in a saucepan on a low heat with the clarified butter and a tablespoon of water.
2. Whilst this takes place, chop the ginger and combine together with garlic with the salt on a chopping board to create a paste.
3. Once the chicken fat has rendered remove the skin from the pan and add the chicken pieces to cook on a medium-high heat.
4. Once the chicken has a good colour, remove and set aside. Add the onions to sweat, then add the ginger and garlic paste and roasted seeds to the pan, turn to a low-medium heat, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Remove the lid and cook for a further 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Increase the heat slightly. Add the turmeric, crushed coriander, and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the chicken pieces and stir to coat in the sauce.
6. Cook the chicken for 10 minutes, turning occasionally.
7. Then add the coconut milk ground almonds, garam masala and crushed cumin and reduce the heat to medium.
8. Add the stock and cook for 5-10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Serve with basmati rice.